One Small Honda - Totally Scratch Built

Thought I'd write about my encounter with the miniaturising laser gun that you guys have been talking about. Basically it's a pair of hands, sharp edged razor blade, needle files, motor tool, all shapes of plastic cards and rods, super glue, putty, magnifying glasses, a good picture reference and a pair of sore eyes.

The subject I'm going to show here is a Honda Cub C70 that I'll be using in an upcoming 1/35th scale local dio. What made me attempt this I'll never know.


It started out with the basic cut out of the shape of the bike out of thick plasticard. This was centered around available wheels scavenged from an Italerei WWII Harley bike.The tyres were heavily sanded down to the right thickness. I fabricated the shock absorbers from plastic rod by chucking one end into my motor tool and as it turned I used a file and blades to shave off and shape it (my makeshift lathe). Make sure you wear safety glasses if you attempt this. I also added the curved front shields with super glue to hold the plasticard in shape.


Next I shaped the seat from milliput and attached all the individual parts except for the exhaust and sprayed an undercoat of black. Because it was so small, I didn't want any white plastic showing after all the painting was done. The basket was made from wire mesh pre-measured from a set of drawings, the ends superglued so they won't pop out when bent to shape. The rims were painted silver at this stage and so were the other parts that needed the same treatment.


More details were added as I concentrated on the handle bar. Mirrors, techometer, hand break lever, switches, signal lights and the headlamp were scratched. Then came the foot brakes, kick start lever, foot gears and foot rests (using my homemade lathe to create the rubber pads around it). The back signal lights and brake lights too were scratched not forgeting the exhaust. For fun I put a Tamiya Zundapp rider sitting on it for scale effect.


The first coats of paint and subsequent layers with a coat of future varnish to seal it in is done here. I had left the basket off to ease painting. For the seat if you look closely, I used fine wire to simulate the piping at the edges that hold the stitching of the vinyl seat cover.


I started this a year ago and got side tracked with some other builds but finally got onto it again. I'd like to thank all the guys who have encouraged me to finish this project. Hope you enjoyed seeing my miniturising laser gun at work

By Richard Timothy Foenander